When training for an Ultra event the probability of getting an overuse injury is very high. Your number one priority through any training program is to show up to the start line healthy. Taking a proactive approach to your preventing overuse injuries is key. Below you will find some quick tips from Coach Jill Becker.
- Warming up is key: Warmup drills- Moving hamstring stretch, moving quad stretch, hip circles, donkey kicks etc.
- Base miles- Building the foundation
- Incorporating cross training, especially if coming back from an injury to build your engine without the extra pounding
- Core and stability exercises--fire hydrant, bird dog, single leg deadlift, bridge variations, plank variations
- Post exercise stretches and recovery- static stretches, compression, foam rolling, pool therapy, yoga etc.
- Listening to your body is essential and addressing nags
- Consistency is key with anything
- Mindset- staying positive and focusing on your weaknesses to make them your strength!
You will also find top 7 injury prevention exercises (Videos and PDF) from Derrick McBride CSCS. Derrick arrived at this workout routine from his years of working with athletes. He believes these are the most effective movements to combat the most common overuse injuries.